Scholarship Type: Masters, PhD
Application Deadline: March 31, 2024
The DAAD Scholarships for Development-Related Postgraduate Courses provide opportunities for foreign graduates from development and newly industrialized countries to pursue postgraduate or Master’s degrees at state or state-recognized German universities. In exceptional cases, the scholarship also covers doctoral degrees, enabling students to attain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
Through its development-related postgraduate courses, DAAD supports the training of specialists from developing and emerging countries. Locally-trained professionals who collaborate with international partners play a crucial role in the sustainable development of their nations. They serve as key agents for a brighter future marked by reduced poverty and enhanced access to education and healthcare for all.
Scholarship Benefits and Duration:
- Monthly stipends of 1,200 Euros
- Transport allowance
- Duration varies from 12 to 42 months based on the course of study
- Monthly scholarship rate of 934 euros for graduate students or 1,200 euros for doctoral students
- Benefits include health, accident, and private liability insurance
- Travel cost subsidies if not covered by the home country or another party
- Additional benefits may be provided under specific circumstances, such as monthly rental assistance and supplements for family members accompanying the scholar.
Eligible Fields of Study:
Master’s or PhD courses in various fields including Economic Sciences, Business Administration, Political Economics, Development Cooperation, Engineering and Related Sciences, Mathematics, Regional and Urban Planning, Agricultural and Forest Sciences, Natural and Environmental Sciences, Medicine and Public Health, Social Sciences, Education and Law, and Media Studies.
Applicants from all developing countries are eligible to apply.
To be eligible for the DAAD Scholarship, candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Currently working for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country, involved in the planning and execution of projects with a focus on development policies in technology, economics, or social areas.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, with above-average academic performance (upper third).
- Have at least two years of related professional experience after obtaining the first bachelor’s degree.
- Academic degrees should typically not be more than six years old.
- For programs taught in German (including a 6-month German language course): Pass the language examination DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before starting the study course. A minimum German language level of B1 is required at the time of application.
- For programs taught in English: Provide proof of adequate language skills based on the respective course requirements.
Applications must be submitted directly to the specific course. Please refer to the course websites for application instructions, deadlines, and required documents. Deadlines may vary depending on the course but are generally between August and October 2023.
For complete information on how to apply for this scholarship, please consult the official website, FAQs, and the 2024/2025 brochure.
Applicants must be prepared to submit the following documents:
- Physically signed and dated DAAD Application Form
- Current CV (europass), physically signed and dated
- Motivation Letter (maximum 2 pages), physically signed and dated
- Certificate(s) of Employment from current employer(s) demonstrating current employment status and at least two years of relevant work experience (between Bachelor’s degree completion and the application deadline).
- Proof of English proficiency
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts, with certified translations into English or German if the original documents are in another language
- Copies of University Entrance Qualification (secondary school leaving certificate) with certified translations into English or German if the original documents are in another language
- Ranking Letter if additional proof is needed to demonstrate that the final grade of the previous degree was above average
- Recommendation from the current employer on official letterhead, including information on the position and contact details of the referee, signed and dated.
Please ensure that all documents and applications are submitted in English.